Your Guide to Picking a Great Cutting Board
Do you love to cook? So do I! If you’ve spent any time at all in the kitchen, you know that it’s important to have a quality cutting board at your side. If you want the best chopping experience of your life, what kind do you want? There are a lot of brands, a lot of material, and frankly, a lot of choices to make! That’s where I come in. I’ve done the research, gathered the information, and created this guide to help you choose.
When talking about kitchen equipment, you cannot underestimate the significance of your board. These kitchen tools are very useful in providing a suitable surface for chopping raw meat, fruits and different types of vegetables. In my opinion, large wood & hardwood models are best for meat.
It is very important for one to consider the type of wood used to make the chopping board due to a number of reasons which include:
- Wood that will not dull the Kitchen knife edges
- Durable and strong type of wood
- Non absorbent to water to reduce on wood decay
For these reasons, one has to be equipped with the necessary tips when purchasing wooden chopping boards.
Top Picks for 2016
Without further ado, here are my top 5 picks:
To help you make a quick comparison, I’ve put together this helpful table. These boards all come in a variety of sizes and weights, so I’ve not included that in the table. I will cover it later on in the guide.
Edge-Grain Plantation Teak
Factors to Consider When Deciding
For one to enjoy long term of service from a wooden model, they have to ensure they get the best types of wood for chopping boards which will have all the above factors considered.
The following are some of the important factors to consider and the respective best type of woods to qualify the conditions:
- Durability: Every cook would desire to enjoy the longest service from their wood chopping board as well as other kitchen equipment. The best wood type to choose is preferably one that is not too hard for the knife and one that has the self healing properties. Hardwoods such as maple, teak, bamboo and acacia are the best self healing, knife friendly and durable types of wood for making kitchen chopping boards.
- Cleaning Properties: Kitchen wood chopping boards are used for slicing food and for this reason should always be clean. However, some types of wood have the property of absorbing juices from the different vegetables and raw meats chopped on them. Such absorbed juices could easily contaminate food and lead to food poisoning. For this reason, maple, acacia and teak form the best wood to use since they have a less porous property than other materials.
- Germ Fighting Properties: Some wooden ones have the property of fighting germs and bacteria. Bamboo is best known for this property hence the user is guaranteed of a clean healthy kitchen when using such. Bamboo releases some enzymes which fight germs and heal the sliced areas of the board. In addition to this, bamboo is environmentally friendly hence a very important material in the food and kitchen industry.
- Type of Graining: Wooden chopping blocks are either side grained or end grained. Side grained boards are made of many horizontal strips of wood which are laid side by side while the end grained is made of small vertical bits of wood. The end grained boards are preferably the best since they are easy on the knives and will prevent them from dulling.
- Advantages of Wood Chopping Boards: There are many types of chopping boards made of different materials other than wood such as; marble, glass, rubber and plastic chopping boards. The wooden chopping boards have numerous advantages over these other types of boards; these include:
- Easy on the Kitchen Knives: The wooden chopping boards are known to be soft and friendly to chefs knives. This property ensures that the sharpness of the user’s knife lasts long and they have an easy time when chopping meat or veggies. This is in contrast to the marble and glass chopping boards which are known to make cooking knives dull.
- Healing and Germ Fighting Properties: Hardwoods and bamboo are known to have healing properties after being exposed to the sharp edge of the knife repeatedly. Bamboo fights germs and bacteria hence ensuring top class hygiene for the user. These properties are only evident in wood chopping boards.
- Non-Warping Property: Wood is known to sustain the same new look even after long periods of time. Other types of chopping boards such as those made of plastic end up warping with time after exposure to different physical conditions. Wood makes for the best type of chopping block to be used in the kitchen. It is quite important to check on the wood properties before purchasing for a chopping board. One is sure of a long term of service and clean germ free food when using clean wooden versions. Amazon offers a wide range of wood cutting boards for sale and is also the go-to place to buy in bulk or wholesale.
We’ve covered the John Boos line in more detail here. Long story short, this is a great option that’s been very popular with households across the country. Maple is an excellent material for making high quality, durable kitchenware.
This product is available in five shapes and sizes, so you can truly get the exact dimensions that you need. Here’s what’s available:
- 18 x 12 x 1-1/2 inches
- 20 x 15 x 1-1/2 inches
- 20 x 15 x 2-1/4 inches
- 24 x 18 x 1-1/2 inches
- 24 x 18 x 2-1/4 inches
This is a great option, and if you take of your John Boos board it should last you a very long time.
- Made from plantation teak, one of the most popular woods. Beautiful, versatile, functional.
- The wood is grown using responsible forestry practices
- Classic designs, unmatched quality.
This is only available in one size: 20 x 14 x 0.8 inches. It weighs in at 5.7 pounds.
You’ll love the look and feel!